[Edu-sig] Re: Edu-sig digest, Vol 1 #526 - 1 msg

John Miller jmillr@umich.edu
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:39:40 -0400

First, let me say that I haven't actually downloaded and tried pyKarel
yet, my comment is based strictly on the screenshots at the website.
 From those screenshots, it appears that users of the system are
inputting *Karel* commands to make the robot perform certain activities.
However, I would much rather see users inputting *Python* commands to
make the robot perform those activities. Karel is designed to introduce
programming concepts to beginning users, yet I would much rather those
users be learning Python instead of Karel, which would have to be
unlearned if and when they got to Python proper. Perhaps pyKarel could
be repurposed to 'pyBot' or something similar that taught the same
programming concepts using the Python language?

Nevertheless, admirable job by the students!

John Miller