[Edu-sig] Re: Edu-sig digest, Vol 1 #457 - 4 msgs

bchang@artic.edu bchang@artic.edu
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:10:41 -0600 (CST)

> Absolutely. I wish--wish there were a fgeat opensource Flash-like tool.
> Which could use scripting langauge of choice [Python, PHP, Javascript,
> REBOL
> ..]I think there will be. But I fear not very soon..

One of my students recently introduced me to SVG (Scalable Vector
Graphics), which is an open-format XML-based language that does pretty
much everything flash does.  it's W3C supported and also uses
ECMAScript, but it seems you should be able to hook other scripting
languages up to it.  as a director & flash programmer i am indeed
continuously infuriated by the closed-door approach macromedia uses -
maybe this will be a viable alternative.

--ben chang
bchang@artic.edu
art & technology studies
school of the art institute of chicago