[Edu-sig] Great OOP tutorial [OT]

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:45:37 -0800

Thanks Jason.  I've been exploring Flash 5 recently and
the tutorial was useful, although I'm somewhat surprised
it doesn't also use Flash movies to teach OO.

Some of my very early forays:
http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/flash/reciprocal.html
http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/flash/group.html
http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/flash/sumtotients.html

The link to Python at this point is simply that the Flash
exhibits graphically support what elsewhere I'm using
Python to explore (e.g. sum of totients of factors of n
= n is explored in numfun.py etc.).

In any case, I agree with you that Flash potentially
provides a useful into to OO with immediate feedback/
applications.  The downside is it's far from free (unlike
Python) and the OO model is somewhat more complicated
I think (Python's is actually more sophisticated, but
conceals enough to make the basics easier -- or maybe
I'm just biased, being new to the Flash paradigm).

The hardest parts of the tutorial are the special add-on
functions the author has to introduce to make the Flash
language itself a little easier to use i.e. he's using
the language to complete the language (admittedly, lots
of successful languages do this).

Kirby