[Edu-sig] Executable pseudocode / executable flowcharts

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:20:37 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Todd Whittaker wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I can make a good case in education for Python as a first language
> because, as everyone claims, it it executable pseudo-code.  I know it.  I
> believe it.  I've made a case for it.  But, where I work, our students
> need more than just pseudo-code.  What we need is a tool that lets
> students create executable flowcharts as well.
>
> Yes, I know that most folks don't use flowcharts, that the belief is that
> they're outdated tools, pseudo-code is better, and so on.  But, for visual
> learners, an executable flowchart can be a great tool (especially one that
> can be stepped through like a debugger, complete with watch windows).
>
> Does anyone know of such a tool? If not, would there be interest in making
> it?  I'm thinking some nifty features could be:

You may be interested in ViPEr:

    http://www.scripps.edu/~sanner/html/papers/IPC02.pdf

This looks like a very facinating project that allows people to
effectively program using visual flowcharts.