[Edu-sig] Python for Algorithms and Data Structures...

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:17:28 -0400

> Even the discussion on pointers in Python shows the pros and cons clearly.
Forth
> would be a good companion to studying pointers and hardware. There are some
> great CLI Forths out there. People think Forth is dead, but they ignore that
> Forth and its derivitives are widely embedded all around us in commercial
> products. From washing machines to desktop printers.
> A case in point [pun intended], Postcript is Forth :-)

fyi, I just did quick google and found this edu-sig thread on implementing FORTH
in Python

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2000-October/000744.html

There are many FORTHs but a good one might be Phil Burke's PForth. Phil is also
the main author of JSyn, the Java audio synthesis api I mentioned in a recent
Jython thread. http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

http://www.softsynth.com/pforth/

"""
PForth is a  public domain, portable ANS Forth based on a kernel written in ANSI
'C'. This makes it easy to port pForth to multiple platforms. So far, pForth has
run on Macs, PCs, SUNs, Amigas, Linux, BeOS, Nokia Communicator, SGI Indys, 3DO
ARM systems, 3DO PowerPC systems, WebTV systems, Hitachi SH4, OpenTV prototypes,
and some internal projects at Lucent. If you build pForth for an embedded
system, please let me know and I will add your machine to the list of machines
that pForth has run on.
"""

./Jason