[Edu-sig] Re: [Tutor] Girls, women and Programming (- andPython)

djr djrassoc01@mindspring.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:19:02 -0500

Aha, in response to Bea's post, let me clarify my earlier
remarks by saying that by "equilibrium point", I did not mean
equal between men and women's salaries--I meant that both have
changed--gone down in my view. I am well aware that typically
men's to women's is 1 to 0.59 (or something on that order).

What I meant is that total household income, it my unfounded suspicion,
has gone down in terms of its ability to buy a certain standard of living
as compared to 50 years ago.  Thus, while initially a family may have
been able to live a little better by having both parties work, I think
over time, the ability of that income to buy that standard of living has
decreased.  I think it's probably a combination of employer's realizing
there are more people out there and therefore they can pay a little less
(and even less to the woman of the family) and costs of that standard of
living getting bid up a little more.

By describing this situation which I believe is fairly factual and generally
the norm, I don't mean to be approving of it--just to describe it.

The net result is that in fact you more than likely have to 'take a vow
of poverty' (tongue somewhat in cheek here) to raise your
children in the style to which you think they should be raised -- particularly if that style is one which says its overall better if
when they come
home on the school bus there's a mom or a dad there
to welcome them.  If one is luckly, it is still possible to live a somewhat
imporverished life in order to achieve that.  In some areas of the world
(as we have heard on this list), that is not even possible -- which is unfortunate.

My apologies to the list for wading through this off topic matter even more.
If anyone wants to discuss further I invite them to write me directly.

--D.

--
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.
djrassoc01@mindspring.com