[Edu-sig] Re: [Tutor] Girls, women and Programming (- andPython)

djr djrassoc01@mindspring.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:54:03 -0500

Very off topic but in regard to this from Dethe...

> > Good for you! Sadly, statistics prove that the number of families who
> > can live safely on one income is rather small in Europe --

It is my suspicion that once the cultural values changed so that
it was acceptable (or even desired) that both person's were employed
a new equilibrium arose in which the salaries were such that
both persons >must< work.

I.e., The salary of the former stay at home went up while the salary
of the person working went down in real purchasing power at least.

Thus what you see now that both must work is simply a new equilibrium
point far different from the 1950's one in which the person working
was paid a certain amount because 'after all they have a family to support'.

As I said..very off topic...

--
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.
djrassoc01@mindspring.com