[Edu-sig] re: Does edu-sig extend to Jython

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:05:42 -0700

>I'm not a Java guy, but your interpretation matches my experience with other
>languages that support method overloading. Of course, I think this is in
>large part due to the fact that it is relatively rare that the order of
>parameters is insignificant, or can be made insignificant through type
>checking or method overloading.

It's a bit of a circle:  the parameter order is rarely insignificant
because the methods aren't overloaded to accommodate all permutations.
If they were, order wouldn't matter.

If you have just 3 parameters, that's six permutations right there.
Four parameters means 4!=24 possible function signatures.  No Java
programmer want's to provide 24 ways of calling the exact same
function with the exact same parameters -- just in different order.
That would seem insane.

Kirby