[Edu-sig] chroot jail or sandbox?

Dr. David J. Ritchie djrassoc01@mindspring.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:17:50 -0500

Instead of...

> having my students
> submit their programming assignments through
> a Web dropboxand having those assignments
> automatically marked by a script that runs
> the submitted program with pre-arranged
> test data, catching any boo-boos with exceptions.

what if you were to turn it around and have them run
the program on their machine with data they obtained from you
and from which they sent you program output...

I suppose they could fake the results or take them from someone else
but a certain amount of random variation in the data might make that
a lot more work to fake correctly.

If you really needed to control it, you could give them an environment
in which they were to run their homework which would poll you for
data for input and send back results.

--D.

--
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.