[Edu-sig] Logo in Python

Chris Meyers cmeyers@guardnet.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:07:45 -0700

>There seems to be a lot of interest in recreating a Logo-like environment
>in Python.  I keep seeing people re-doing this (I've re-done it myself).
>
>Is there any interest in joining forces to build something or at least bounce
>ideas around?

Sure. Although we probably want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Starlogo, a spinoff of Logo, is a language
described in the book Turtles, Termites and Traffic Jams (Resnick, MIT) for writing massively parrallel programs. A good example
is the program where ants find food and bring it back to the nest. I'm not trying to recreate the language, just make a set of base
classes that provide all of the common functionality for turtles, patches and an observer. You would subclass these for your
particular program. This is only my first idea and I've got just a couple of days work into it. I'm happy to pass the code around (let
me make it work first!) and would enjoy hearing other ideas too.

Thanks, Chris