[Edu-sig] Student Assignment Styles

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:06:58 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Bryce Embry wrote:

> Looking through some of the edu_sig posts, and Timothy Wilson's page at
> http://www.isd197.org/sibley/cs/icp/, I'm seeing that assigning students a
> large project seems to be more popular than assigning a number of smaller,
> more pedantic problems.

I did many more small assignments at the beginning of the year--little
functions for programs that could be completed in twenty minutes or so. Now
that my students have been exposed to most of the Python syntax, I have them
working on larger assignments that are really just a bunch of little ones
glued together. Plus, the larger projects tend to be more interesting for
the students.

> I've been using what I consider to be smaller projects (my stuff is at
> http://www.bembry.org/tech/python/index.shtml ) and am wondering if fewer,
> larger projects would be better for my kids.

Thanks for the link. I'm always interested to see what other teachers are
doing.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com