[Edu-sig] text compression as a learning tool

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Mon, 28 May 2001 19:19:09 -0700

Timothy Wilson writes:

> On Mon, 28 May 2001, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>
> > I fondly remember inventing run-length encoding in junior high, so it
> > occurs to me that that's a good algorithm to work with.
>
> That reminds me of all the things I "invented" as a kid that I soon
> discovered had been previously invented. I was so close to fame and
> riches. :-)

Bill Gosper, the genius and accomplished hacker, gave a great
interview where he expressed this amusing jealousy for Euler, who had
the good fortune to have been born first.

Donald J. Albers et al., _More Mathematical People_, p. 106.  Great
book.

There's also the comment that St. Jerome recounted about Aelius Donatus:

	"Pereant," inquit, "qui ante nos nostra dixerunt."

("May they perish," [Aelius Donatus] said, "who have said our own things
before us!")