[Edu-sig] IDLE and VPython

Arthinator@aol.com Arthinator@aol.com
Sun, 13 May 2001 00:21:35 EDT

--part1_14.140ccb5e.282f65cf_boundary

Noting Sheila's problem discussed on the Python list and here re: VPython
installation breaking stuff for her;

Noting my concerns related to trying to distribute my PyGeo which has now
evolved essentially into a VPython library.

Noting my own opinion that VPython will, or at least should, become an almost
standard part of a Python installation geared toward educatinal use.

Noting that the VPython footprint, except as to its own IDLE version, is
extremely small and will co-exist easily with a standard Python
installation.

Noting that the VPython IDLE fork is falling further behind the Python release
version.

Agreeing that the interactive IDLE is an essential piece of an installation
geared toward educational use.

Feeling strongly that a standard Python installation that could accept VPython
out of the box would be a boon to Python for educational use.

Finally, not understanding what of significance running in its own Process
Space brings to the table for standard IDLE, and certainly feeling that other
than that single issue the VPython forked IDLE adds nothing essential to
VPython's use for educational purposes.

Going as far as to wish that a future VPython might become part of the
standard
Python distribution.

Trying to see, encourage something to be worked out here by David and Guido,
is
to me, core EDU-SIG.

ART

--part1_14.140ccb5e.282f65cf_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>
<BR>Noting Sheila's problem discussed on the Python list and here re: VPython
<BR>installation breaking stuff for her;
<BR>
<BR>Noting my concerns related to trying to distribute my PyGeo which has now
<BR>evolved essentially into a VPython library.
<BR>
<BR>Noting my own opinion that VPython will, or at least should, become an almost
<BR>standard part of a Python installation geared toward educatinal use.
<BR>
<BR>Noting that the VPython footprint, except as to its own IDLE version, is
<BR>extremely small and will co-exist easily with a standard Python
<BR>installation.
<BR>
<BR>Noting that the VPython IDLE fork is falling further behind the Python release
<BR>version.
<BR>
<BR>Agreeing that the interactive IDLE is an essential piece of an installation
<BR>geared toward educational use.
<BR>
<BR>Feeling strongly that a standard Python installation that could accept VPython
<BR>out of the box would be a boon to Python for educational use.
<BR>
<BR>Finally, not understanding what of significance running in its own Process
<BR>Space brings to the table for standard IDLE, and certainly feeling that other
<BR>than that single issue the VPython forked IDLE adds nothing essential to
<BR>VPython's use for educational purposes.
<BR>
<BR>Going as far as to wish that a future VPython might become part of the
<BR>standard
<BR>Python distribution.
<BR>
<BR>Trying to see, encourage something to be worked out here by David and Guido,
<BR>is
<BR>to me, core EDU-SIG.
<BR>
<BR>ART