Scintilla was Re: [Edu-sig] Python Briefing for Faculty

Markus Gritsch gritsch@iue.tuwien.ac.at
Sat, 12 May 2001 15:04:17 +0200

> Isn't PythonWin using scintilla?

Yes it does, but scintilla is only the editor-component.  Script-startup
isn't performed by the editor-component, but by the embedding application.
So SciTE is the text-editor which uses scintilla as it's editor-component.
(In fact SciTE was only developed as a demonstration application for
scintilla, but has improved so much, that it is a powerful editor now.)  Try
the following in the interactive window of PythonWin:

while 1:
    pass

and PyrthonWin will never ever respond to something again.

> I prefer PythonWin to IDLE most of the time.
>
> +++++ object.lookup command line completion pop up menu [YES!!]

can be done to some extend also with SciTE

> +++ easy to add new mdules to the PYTHONPATH [which I still do not really
> understand on win32]

Ever looked at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore\2.0\PythonPath
in the registry?

> ++ nice color and formatting control

More controllable in SciTE

> ++ expand/contract code sections using 'Folding' option [free man's
> Mathematica-style notebook]

Code-folding is a feature of scintilla itself

> + visible indentation guides [see View Menu]

ditto

> + configurable 'Tools' Menu

comparable feature available in SciTE

> + zoomable display CTRL + mousewheel

CTRL Num+ in SciTE

> + some Python modules that won't run under IDLE do under PythonWin
> - some Python modules that won't run under PythonWin do run under IDLE

There is no module that couldn't be run in SciTE.  Every script is
interruptable by a menu entry.

Markus