[Edu-sig] Graphics for beginners, and other resources

Richard Crook richard@sj.co.uk
Thu, 10 May 2001 23:01:01 +0100

I don't normally shout much about our resources, but the list seems
recently to have been discussing areas where we might be able to save folks
some work.

LiveWires is a computing holiday in the UK for 12-15 year olds; all our
course material and Python modules is on our website. In particular, we
have a support library to provide (Tk-based) graphics in a window with a
straight procedural interface for beginners (similar to that described
recently by Daniel Yoo). Daniel: apologies, I haven't yet had time to take
a detailed look at what you've done, but you might find our course
materials relevant anyway...

In addition, some of what Jason Cunliffe posted struck a chord, so there
might be some synergy there -- we've been actively using these materials
for a couple of years to teach real beginners. I know Jeff Elkner has also
picked up on this for some of his students (Hi Jeff!).

Website at http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/index.html, for anyone
interested. Feel free to comment -- we're in the process of updating and
extending for this year's holiday. If anyone's interested in the directions
we're going from here, drop me a message.

Regards,
Richard
--
Richard Crook // SJ Consulting Ltd, Cambridge // richard@sj.co.uk