[Edu-sig] About myself

Roman Suzi rnd@onego.ru
Thu, 10 May 2001 10:42:31 +0400 (MSD)

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Jason Cunliffe wrote:

Hi Jason!

> http://www.moock.org/asdg/
> sample chapters:
>
> What do you think of this as style/content for beginners?
>
> <quote>
> Chapter 1 - A Gentle Introduction for Non-Programmers

Overall very nice!

The first chapter is alittle too verbose to impatient.
Usually it is not very comfortable to feed beginners with
philosophy. Me too done it and it was not usually understood.
It seems, deduction doesn't work for most students.
Them can't deduce from common "philosophical" phrases
practical implications.

I looked into Contents at the web: its traditional
for programming books.

I do not know if RealBasic is strongly typed or not,
but for Python I think the better approach is to
learn functions early and probably not to make
stress on data types.

For example:

-------------------------------

First:
0. Dialog with Python (...,calculator,etc)

Second:

1. Hello world
2. Arithmetics (Numbers)
3. Functions
4. Strings
5. Conditions
6. Boolean logic
7. Loops
8. Comments
9. Lists
10. Text processing (regular expressions included)
11. Formatting output
12. Files

Third...:

Functional style
Modular style
OOP style

Fourth:

IDLE

Fifth:

Debug, optimization summarised

One more point. Flash is about more visual art than
text processing, for example. When I teached HyperCard
we touched programming very gently, as an aux. tools.

(Despite even the fact that I myself dislike WISYWIG)

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd@onego.ru -