[Edu-sig] Intro and question: assignments/projects for year end

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Tue, 8 May 2001 08:19:18 -0700

> C. RESOURCES
> Among the wonderful modules you should definitely stop at
> Kirby's pages.

These are mostly linked from:
  http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/cp4e.html

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Python + Povray synergy,
the latter being a powerful, no cost ray-tracer.  Povray runs off
ascii text files (.pov) which you can have Python write.  I mostly
can (or bottle) polyhedra in Python, using a primitive vector
class.  Here are some of my fancier graphics, developed with
Python's assistance:
  http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/concavedodeca.html

Crytography is another topic I take up.  I've got both letter
substitution cipher modeled on Enigma (sort of), and an intro to
RSA (patent expired on that algorithm, kids can use freely).

All this stuff is non-GUI (I use Python's IDLE for development,
itself a GUI).

There may be nothing suitable as is, but there might be
something that sparks an imagination or two, plus example
source code.

Kirby