[Edu-sig] Teaching Python instead of Java?

David Pettersson dave@se.linux.org
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:49:30 +0100

Hi,

I work as a teaching assistant at my local university, and we currently
teach Java only to our new students (Pascal was left a couple of years ago).

Although Java is a nice language, I still feel that it is inappropriate to
teach new students (some of which have had no prior computer experience!).

I have been using Python for a couple of years now, but it was far from my
first language (although one could say it is my primary language now :).
What I am wondering is if Python is a better alternative, and why if is so.

Sincerely,
--
David Pettersson                                   Stardate [-30]6312.44
dave@se.linux.org                        Public key available on request