[Edu-sig] re: Switching gears

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 11:37:40 -0800

>I have lost passion for the argument, but do think it would
>be ruder not ot respond at all.
>
>Kirby, you know as well as I that Book I Prop I before
>Book I Porp II, and well before Book XI Prop I (where
>we first see solids) is at the very essence of Euclid.
>Not making Euclid sacred, but the deductive process
>does have some "sacredness" IMO.
>
>David Joyce's take at:
>
>http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/elements.html
>
>closely resembles my own.

I'm not sure what the argument is, but maybe it's that we
shouldn't be jumping "out of sequence" vis-a-vis Euclid's
deductive structure.

I'm more a wholes->parts than a parts->wholes kinda guy.
Overview is a motivation for learning the nitty gritty
details of a system.  So I'm not averse to at least naming
polys before we get to them in a deductive apparatus,
because experience is spatial, not flat, and no infinite
planes have ever been disclosed to the senses.

Anyway, I don't see having polys in 1st grade as getting
in the way of starting with some basic postulates and
definitions later -- although in my class it's always
emphatic that postulates are not "self evident", but are
more in the "cultural convention" or "convenient fiction"
category.

Given Euclid didn't have access to silicon chips, matrices,
Python, POV-Ray, PyOpenGL etc., it makes sense that we'd
have a little bit different approach some couple thousand
years later.  A mix of the old and the new, not straight
old, and not straight new, is my preferred blend.

Kids born much later in time are confronted with an exponentially
greater body of amassed human knowledge/experience.  In this
day and age, it makes sense to MIRV the trajectories i.e.
cover more disparate disciplines within the scope of one
topical-thread launch.  If you can learn your geometries in
conjunction with TV production and/or computer programming,
so much the better.  Life is short.

Kirby