[Edu-sig] In praise of VPython

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:34:05 -0800

>Hope those out in the field - teachers designing Python based curriculum -
>begin to take advantage of what it has to offer.
>
>ART

I have both 2.0 and 2.1a2 on my G: drive.  VPython insists on putting
all its files on C:, maybe because 2.1 has the last word in some
registry entry -- probably why I can't get Python 2.0's IDLE to boot,
even though I can boot the ActivePython Pythonwin interface.

Once I move all the VPython stuff to G:\Python20, by zipping down and
unzipping in the correct directory, I still can't get its version
of IDLE to boot (again, likely for registry reasons -- 2.1 has to
be my final install).

A question about VPython -- can I use it independently of its version
of IDLE?  Like in Pythonwin or the indigenous IDLE?  How about from
ye old MSDOS box?

Anyway, it looks to me like the Windows registry structure and/or
Python Windows install process is too awkward to permit Python 2.0
and Python 2.1 to co-exist peacefully enough for add-ons like VPython
to work.  So I either blow away the 2.1a2 or sit tight and wait for
the add-ons to migrate up the development curve.  Or...?  Maybe
someone out there as both Pythons and VPython all working on the
same Wintel box?

Kirby