[Edu-sig] re: modelling

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:15:54 -0500

An effort that seems quite relevant to the
modelling thread.

http://www.vision25.demon.co.uk/oss/parrot/intro.html

>> >1. What is Parrot?
>>>Parrot is a text-based GUI builder, written by Philip Hunt.
>>>It is intended to be used by programmers writing GUI applications.

>>>Parrot is written in Python, and licenced under the GNU GPL.
>>> Parrot uses version 0.5 of John Aycock's SPARK parsing framework,
>>>which is described in his paper Compiling Little Languages in Python.

To me a quite Pythonic approach to the issue of
GUI building.

The modelling and the implementation are close to
being one process.  Analagous to Pythonic math -
describe the problem and solve it in a fell swoop.

And a tool such as this  -  when more fully developed -
will allow one to explore the various GUI alternatives without
making a substantial upfront commitment to the learning
curve that each's API presents.

For me, that has been the beauty of learning Python.
The efficiency, as both a learning and implementation
tool.

Works more and more in the real world as a sort of a meta-API.

Efficieny *is* good.

As we are all busy folks.
To me a quite Pythonic approach to the issue of
GUI building.

The modelling and the implementation are close to
being one process.  Analagous to Pythonic math -
describe the problem and solve it in a fell swoop.

And a tool such as this allows one to explore the various
GUI alternatives without making a substantial upfront
commitment to tackle the learning curve that each's
API presents.

For me, that has been the beauty of learning Python.
The efficiency, as both a learning and implementation
tool.

Works more and more in the real world as a sort of a meta-API.

ART