[Edu-sig] re: programming for artists

Arthur Siegel ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:28:57 -0400

Jason -

Checked out the wiki.

My favorite so far -

The barriers to learning programming - as per Jason, point one -

IT IS INHERENTLY COMPLEX

The multimedia project I conceive is not tutorial based or related.
Among other things, that would be largely duplicative of much
else out there - most recently and significantly the Resources CD.

The multi-media/ for artists project should be a collection of showoff
demos - some of the gold at the end of the rainbow - motivating folks who
might not otherwise know why they would undertake the struggle
to learn to program.  I relate it to math only it that same sense. "I am
interested in being an animation artist".  My carreer counseling - pay
attention in math class. The message, "don't worry someone else will build
a high-level tool to protect you from math, just develop your
sensibilities" -
is a counter revolutionary message IMO. Much better - as per a prior thread
here - to give a flavor of the tremendous evidence that math and art have
been
walking hand-in-hand from day one and that any conception that the
disclipines are unrelated, even in opposition, is a peculiarity of our
particular time and place. Something we'll get over sooner or later.
With the help of these kinds of projects, hopefully sooner.

Not accusing you of it.  But my input on this kind of project would
be very much to try to make this point.

Not sure it fits in with your conception/sensibilities as to where
the project goes.

ART