[Edu-sig] Interactive tutorial

Chris Meyers cmeyers@guardnet.com
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:20:06 -0800

This looks really interesting. I'm sure Jeff would have no
objections. With (hopefully) teaching a Python class this summer I
would be happy to both contribute and use material.

Here's an idea. How about a cgi web page that delivers the
explanations and maybe the code that needs correcting. The cgi
program is written in Python of course. It would take the users
correction and "eval" it, returning either the answer or an error
message (capturing any errors traps and stdout). That way people
could play with Python without actually going thru the installation
process.

One would have to guard against sabotoge. A timer to keep infinite
loops at bay, maybe a dummy "os" module to fingers out of where
they don't belong. redefine "open". Although isn't there a reduced
execution mode like Java has?

Or come to think of it, could such a page be done in Jython for
local interpretation of expressions or program snipplets and links
for new material?

Chris Meyers