[Edu-sig] re: programming for artists

Dethe Elza delza@alliances.org
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:28:27 -0700

Kirby,

Don't try to convince us you are scared of multimedia, you've been doing
this longer than most of us.  I am clueless around PovRay.  I know VPython
can output PovRay files, but what if I want to tweak them?  Or if I wanted
to create a series of PovRay visualizations and stitch them together into a
cross-platform animation of some kind?  I don't know how to do this, but you
do.  And it would be a most excellent chapter, might I add.

I would love to learn PyGame and Snack and Piddle and Blender and all the
rest, but I'll never have time.  I installed Blender once and it totally
intimidated me.  But if we can interest enough contributors then we can each
take one of these library/toolkits and document it: here's the api, here's
how you get started, here's some cool things you can do, here's a complete
project.  If the API is too complex, we can write a simplified, more
Pythonesque wrapper (kind of like GLUT does for OpenGL).  Heck, I'd like to
see more of Python's existing libraries written to be more like Python and
less like thin wrappers around unix C calls.

So, I'm willing to revel in my ignorance and learn at least one new library,
play with it, point to the good documentation I find, and supplement it when
necessary.  I hope you will come play too.

--

Dethe Elza
Chief Mad Scientist

(Sorry for the repeat, meant to send this to the list first time)