[Edu-sig] More spillover re the division PEP

Kevin Ollivier kevino@tulane.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:25:02 -0400

<<SNIP>>

> I probably shouldn't be so nostalgic for the status quo.
> After all, I do a lot of coding in Xbase (?), e.g. VFP (?)
> and that's a weakly typed interpreted language like Python,
> and is case insensitive (as Guido has proposed for Python,
> but given up on) and it evals 1/2 the way Python is going
> to soon (i.e. 1/2 = .5).  It'll be very familiar territory
> (same for a lot of other programmers, coming from other
> languages where this is the norm).

>Kirby

Actually, I liked the comment Tim Peters made about using directives (what
about "use integer" and "use case"?) There will still need to be a default
behavior, but it does let everyone make Python work the way they want it to.
And as Tim said, it will be much easier to ensure that Python scripts are
compatible with the latest version of Python. In fact, if you were to do
something like put it in comments (#use integer) then the code would
actually run correctly in all versions of Python.

Nothing wrong with being nostalgic, I actually understand your point of
view. After all, I find myself constantly saying "I wish language X worked
like Python did." I started prgoramming with VB (hobbyist), which has led me
to a great appreciation of the way Python does things! =)

Kevin