[Edu-sig] Re: Proposing/defending Python

Jonathan Pennington Jonathan Pennington <john@coastalgeology.org>
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:31:25 -0500

Here at the College of Charleston, Java is pretty much it for the
official classes in the Computer Science department, at least where
high level languages are concerned. I *am* however starting an
informal course in the geology department (other sciences welcome), on
intro programming for student scientists, all in Python. The
department chair is excited about it, as well as a number of students
*and* faculty who want to take it. All it took was a small demo of
Python programming to get the ball rolling. It's a pretty serious
ball, too, when you consider that faculty want to take this course,
taught by me, an undergrad. Python's getting at least a good start
here :-).

-J
--
Jonathan Pennington		| http://coastalgeology.org
Site Manager			| Protection and stewardship