[Edu-sig] Goofing with Groups

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:03:24 -0800

>It attracted the attention of Ed Dubinsky, who is, I've
>learned, a long time exponent of "math through programming"
>(my lineage as well), harkening back to the SETL language,
>which perhaps had its hey day awhile back (but in some
>years, maybe we'll be looking back on Python in the same
>whistful way?).

To be more fair, Dubinsky isn't using SETL but ISETL,
and these seems to be more of a live proposition.  There's
a Windows version, and it's open right now in another
window, with the graphing box right next to it.  I'm
looking forward to playing around.

  http://ppatten.ngc.peachnet.edu/finitetopology/fintop.htm

What this has to do with Python is I always appreciate
the opportunity to be influenced by the masters, as
this will only improve my own writing in future.  Even
if I don't dive deeply into ISETL, I bet I'll learn some
new "math through programming" techniques I can adapt to
this environment.

Kirby