[Edu-sig] inline python for education

Bruno Vernier vernier@vc.bc.ca
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:42:52 -0800

<delurking>

Hello everyone,

I've followed this mailing list for several month.  I am a math/computer
science intructor (high school level).  I have just written the first
version of a zope product called Eduml which is an extension of an existing
product called ZWiki.  (everything is GPL)

This package allows anyone to quickly include python, including PIL (python
imaging library) , SQL queries, gnuplot commands, and LaTeX instructions in
what appears to be a plain old web page (and oh yes, we can include HTML
too but not directly inside the eduml elements)

for example,

<h1>a simple example</h1>

<python>
A = randint(0,9)
B = randint(0,9)
</python>

<math> simplify $$ \A \over \B $$ </math>

<sql> select * from lessons </sql>

<draw>
line ((0,0,100,100))
ellipse ((0,0,50,50))
</draw>

<plot> sin(x) </plot>

I've posted a showcase/sandbox area on
http://ess.vancouver.bc.ca/zope/bruno/eduml

Thanks,
Bruno

p.s. the new elements are part of an XML for education project I've been
involved with for 2 years called EDUml (Educational Markup Language) but
that is another story.

</delurking>