[Edu-sig] Alice (was re: Question about a programming system.)

Stephen R. Figgins fig@monitor.net
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:05:52 -0800

> >Am I understanding you right?
>
> Not fully. I wouldn't be quite as passionate if it was only that.

Well, this is why I ask.

You have more of a specific objection to this project.  You consider
it opportunistic and bad science.

The only knowledge I have about Alice is what is presented on their
web pages.  I haven't found anything there to object to, but I am
probably no real judge of good vs. bad science.  I actually didn't get
the impression that it was meant to be science at all (not testing a
particular hypothesis), but rather an exploration of how to create a
programming interface for non-programmers.  More like a study.

Did you get your negative impression from the web pages and the
dissertation directly?  Do you have some other personal experience
with the project?  I think you are seeing something here that the rest
of us are failing to see.

-Stephen