[Edu-sig] A fact on the ground

Charlie Derr charlie@webmind.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:12:14 -0500

~ It doesn't "make sense" to program around math stuff to someone who
~ finds math unpleasant to begin with.  Instead, they associate
~ programming
~ with math and  become convinced that programming is not for them either.
~

Forgive me for stating what (to me seems to be) the obvious.  It just
doesn't make sense to teach programming "without" math stuff.  Sure the math
aspect doesn't have to be emphasized, but i think that the more math that
can be included (whether it's "sneaked" in by not calling it math), the
better.  I think that Joan's post on integrating computing with a government
class illustrates this.  All the examples that were cited by her involved
math directly.   Again, this doesn't mean that the mathematical aspect has
to be front and center, but I think we should acknowledge that in a certain
sense programming "is" math.

	just my $.0199999...
		~c