[Edu-sig] re: Question about a programming system.

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:53:31 -0600

Benjamin Fallenstein <b.fallenstein@gmx.de> on 01/05/2001 08:57:40 AM
To: Arthur Siegel/NewYork/MP/RSMi@RSMi
cc: edu-sig@python.org
Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] re: Question about a programming system.

>I can't say anything about Alice menuing yet (haven't found anything
>related to it), but about PovTalk. (At least about the comparison to the
>notes about my programming system experiment.) PovTalk let's you *key
>in* statements in natural language,

I believe I understand, in broad terms at least, why none of the apps I cited
are greatly on point
to what you are trying to accomplish.

What I don't understand is why Alice is.  Nor apparentlyt do you, yet.

What I would say is that one of the greaqt challenges you face is achieving
simplicity and
accessibility while avoiding condescension.

Looked at it aestthetically, rather than technically,  Python achieves this
wonderfully. Alice, for
whatever else it might accomplish (and I admit I'm even missing that) fails
miserably.

I see Python|Alice as a monstrous aesthetic clash.  Which is why I persist in
seeking an
explanation from Guido on what he sees and I miss.