[Edu-sig] re: Question about a programming system.

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:36:44 -0600

>I think that for limited domains your approach makes a lot of sense.
>Alice effectively does the same, mapping hierarchical menu choices to
>Python statements -- but statements chosen from a limited domain.

One of those days.

Please Guido what does that mean?

Maybe compare it to something like VPython,  or Blender, or Lightflow or
something
like PovTalk "a Natural Language based 3D scene generator. By Stacey Verner."
(still a live link from the edu-sig page)  which accomplishes a natural
language instruction
set with stunning graphics in a few kilobytes of Python/PyOpenGL.  And the code

is accessible
and explorable.
.
It's not that I am unwillingly to understand.

And, it is not fair to assume I am the only one confused on this. Though
certainly either the most confused
or the most vocal.

If there is something significant about how  Alice implements Python scripting

compared to these others - please what is it?.

Or are we talking about a certain class of software which uses Python
scripting, of which Alice is an example and the
one with which you happen to be most familiar?