[Edu-sig] (OT)no Python 2.0 bindings for Lightflow until now ...

Don Hansford donh@halenet.com.au
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 21:29:31 +1000

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 19:26:17 -0600
Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com got it together enough to write:

> Charlie wrote -
>
> >I am an enthusiastic (but not so very experienced) pythonista.  I
> just
> >downloaded the lightflow python module for windows (NT in my case).

> [OT] Also just think I determined that QT/ PyQT is only
> a real option on Linux.  Might have to bite the bullet and
> get me a Linux box to work on.
>
> ART

I don't want to start a flame war here, but ------  :-)

<tongue-in-cheek>
References to "biting the bullet" and getting a linux box should be re-phrased to "removing the proprietary petard from the itchy part of my back" and getting a linux box!
</tongue-in-cheek>

Seriously, the ports of QT and TCL et al to Windows are just that - ports. They were never designed specifically for the Win environment. I think the people involved have done a fantastic job. I know I wouldn't want to be given the task of redesigning a Ferarri engine to run in a truck!

When you look at so many leading (or bleeding) edge things that are available nowadays in the computing field, all of the real "grab you by the short and curlies" type ones seem to come from the Open Source side, rather than the closed source (dark) side.

It is this well-spring of ingenuity and talent in the Open Source world that brought you things like c /c++, tcp/ip, the Internet, e-mail, search engines, scripting languages and of course, our own (well, Guidos' own, but ours too!) Python. Not to mention the "also-rans" like perl, php etc.

After all, how many of us would be using Python today if the original message was "Hey, I've written this great new language, send me $499.00 and you can see whether you like it or not".

The point (there HAD to be one somewhere!) I am trying to make is :-:
Use Python, use the QT & TCL libraries that come along with it. Use all the protocols and programs you need to in order to get through the day, but don't forget where they came from, nor the unique set of circumstances that allowed them to come into being. And remember that, although you have not physically paid in coin for them, you would be much the poorer if they weren't there for your use, or to break the ground for something even better for your grandchildren.

Here endeth lesson 101. There will be a test :-)##

--

This Email is 100% Virus Free!
How do I know? Because no Microsoft

Regards Don Hansford
ECKYTECH COMPUTING/
SQIT Warwick
<SuSE Linux 6.4>

"We're tired, we're wired, and our breath smells bad --
-But at least our Operating System doesn't suck!"