[Edu-sig] Encouraging students to plan effectively

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 17:41:03 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Jason L. Asbahr wrote:

> Great idea, Steve.  Using cards is nice and simple.  And it is a great
> way to introduce ideas like "use cases" or "user stories".

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I read "Extreme Programming
Installed" over the last couple days and found several things that were
interesting. I like the "user story" method of defining the specifications
for a project. I'm going to try this.

My students are part way through a new Portfolio Tracker assignment
(http://www.isd197.org/sibley/cs/icp/assignments/portfolio_html), but I
think I'll hand out some user story cards and get them used to the concept.

I wrote up another project page at
http://www.isd197.org/sibley/cs/icp/assignments/portfolio2_html that
emphasizes the user stories. I wonder if any of you would look it over and
give me some feedback. Specifically, do the user stories capture the specs
adequately? (My project page also includes a PDF of the user stories I'm
going to hand out.)

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com