[Edu-sig] Encouraging students to plan effectively

Jason L. Asbahr jason@crash.org
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:18:23 -0600

Great idea, Steve.  Using cards is nice and simple.  And it is a great
way to introduce ideas like "use cases" or "user stories".

Here are some references to the usage of cards in the Extreme
Programming community:

XP Roadmap (intro):
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProgramming

Card-specific:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WriteItOnaCard

User stories:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?UserStory

Also, Timothy, going so far as to actually enforce a planning process
would probably backfire.  There are intrinsic rewards to various degrees
of planning (better code, less frustrating debugging, potential for rapid
adaptability to changing customer requirements), but they are not always
obvious, especially to beginners.

Explicitly *rewarding* ("bonus points") individuals and teams that plan
(and plan well) might help ingrain the practice.  Up front reward for
investing the energy in planning coupled with deferred reward as their
projects run with more features and less debugging, yes, I think that
might do it.  :-)

Cheers,

Jason