[Edu-sig] Who is teaching Python

Christine Shannon shannon@centre.edu
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:23:42 -0500

--------------E2BDCADED0B9D6680AACEDD9

At Centre College we have been teaching Python as the first programming
language for the past three semesters with very good results.  I will be
leading a Birds-of-a-Feather session on it at the SIGCSE meeting this
year in Northern KY.

Our students run the gamut from computer science majors to math and
science majors who are taking this for their major to fine arts majors
who are exploring.  They learn enough about object oriented programming
so that those who go on to Data Structures are able to make a good
transition to Java.

The text book situation is a problem.  I have use three different ones
so far and have not really been satisfied with any of them.  The level
is either too elementary or they are written as though this is at least
a second programming language for the reader.  Most of the on-line
documentation is very good but students usually want a book.

Christine Shannon

--------------E2BDCADED0B9D6680AACEDD9

begin:vcard
n:Shannon;Christine
tel;work:859 238 5406
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Centre College
version:2.1
email;internet:shannon@centre.edu
title:Margaret V. Haggin Professor of Science
adr;quoted-printable:;;Centre College=0D=0A600 W. Walnut;Danville;KY;40422;
x-mozilla-cpt:;-22784
fn:Shannon, Christine
end:vcard

--------------E2BDCADED0B9D6680AACEDD9--