[Edu-sig] Python Comp Sci course.

Wesley Chun wesc@deirdre.org
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:43:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Robert Rickenbrode II wrote:

> Hey folks, I"m gearing up to teach a Python-based computer science course.

robert,

sounds great!  a good number of people on this list are doing that.
i current teach a professional education Python course for UC Santa
Cruz Extension (next class is Winter 2002 quarter).  it's an 8-week
course with one meeting per week.

i give quite a bit of homework in this class (as many of my students
would attest [and protest] to)  :-)  many of these exercises are
geared towards exercising your creativity while doing some real code
to help hammer home the concepts.

i put many (if not all) these exercises in the book "Core Python
Programming" which i did for Prentice Hall last year.  if you are
interested in seeing some of the exercises, just let me know!

> 3. I'd like to include a significant amount of history in the class.

one book that has only a single yet loaded chapter on history
is called "Computer Science: An OVerview" by Glenn Brookshear.
it's used in *many* college intro courses (hence why i think
it's like on its *7th* ed. or something like that)!

> Thoughts, suggestions, comments, references?

there are some other courses which use Core Python Programming as
a text reference, and some of these courses have websites which
may also be of use to you.  here are two of them:

http://sandbox.mc.edu/~gwiggins/syllabi/csc233/csc233-python-syllabus.html

http://hebb.cis.uoguelph.ca/~dbm/teaching/CIS2450/

good luck, and let me know how it goes!

-wesley

Silicon Valley-SF Bay Area Python users group:  http://baypiggies.org

"Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, December 2000
    http://starship.python.net/crew/wesc/cpp/

wesley.j.chun :: wesc@baypiggies.org
cyberweb.consulting :: silicon.valley, ca
http://www.roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/