[Edu-sig] Teaching python

Rob Andrews rob@jam.rr.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:36:10 -0500

Timothy Wilson wrote:

 > Hi everyone,
 >
 > I keep hearing about more teachers who, like myself, are using
 > Python to teach programming in high schools around the U.S. Perhaps
 >  it would be nice to have a page at python.org in the edu-sig
 > section listing the schools and teachers who are using it. Of
 > course I have no idea how we'd find everyone, and perhaps finding a
 >  small number of teachers listed on the page would be a disincentive
 >  for teachers who are just discovering Python.
 >
 > Any thoughts?
 >
 > -Tim

A fine idea. I don't think people would be discouraged by being among
the first programs listed. When the Python Tutor list started up Useless
Python at the first of the year, we had four or five source files on a
single page thrown together with Netscape Composer. I have the pleasure
(Yes, I still enjoy it!) of maintaining the site, so I have gotten to
see an endless supply of enthusiasm from people learning Python and from
their tutors, teachers and heroes.

I extend the same offer I made to the Tutor list several months ago. If
you'd like to start the list, I'll gladly host it. I've been thinking of
making this suggestion for a while now.

Rob
--
A {} is a terrible thing to waste.