[Edu-sig] RE: [Tutor] Off topic musings

Bruce Sass bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:24:41 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
<...>
> Yes, there are many books and papers on programming correctness but
> few on the nature of information. Specifically I am intereted in
> any work on layering of information structures. Looking at how
> information itself is structured and operated upon. This is different
> to programming which is only one very narrow subset ofg information
> processing.

I think the Philosophy of Language section in the library would be the
place to start.  Unless I'm completely misunderstanding you, you are
interested in how information becomes data, gets manipulated, then
spit out as information again... which seems analagous to what we do
everyday when we look at something in the world, extract those
features we think are important, then express the result of our
machinations in terms that relate them to some other concern.

- Bruce