[Edu-sig] Scientific Python 2.2

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:44:16 -0700

At 03:42 PM 4/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ah so, I stand corrected.

Kirby

======
And now for something completely different:

Excerpt from recent post to community college math teacher list:

My agenda is:  start kids playing with a CLI around 8th
grade if not sooner and develop programming skills in
connection with math topics through high school.

I favor using Python for this purpose for reasons many
computer science teachers share, and envision a time when,
at the college level, math teachers might take basic
competence/familiarity with Python as an ability shared
by the average incoming student (the more accomplished
students might know other languages in addition).

The arena in which such an agenda has the greatest
chance of being tested/implemented in this day and age
is in the homeschooler sector, as this is where (a) kids
already have computers and use them for self-tutoring
and (b) innovation is happening of necessity.

However, I don't mind sharing these ideas with folks
entrenched more deeply in the status quo curriculum,
as there might still be a notion or two which is
transferable.  However, the real changes are probably
more likely in other contexts.

Kirby

=======

For those wanting to dig through the archives to read the
http://www.mathforum.com/epigone/mathedcc/feronflix