[Edu-sig] socratic methods

Stephen R. Figgins fig@monitor.net
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:31:05 -0700

Michal Wallace wrote:
> I think it would be really cool if a computer could be programmed
> with a tree like this to teach people using the socratic method.

I have been thinking about this, while playing around with a palm
program called CyberTracker.  It is used for data entry.  This
particular database interface was designed for illiterate bushmen
trackers.  Equiped with palms, the bushmen have been producing lots of
data on Rhinos in South Africa and other animals as well.  More data
than we had collected on the animals in the last hundred years was
gathered in the first few weeks of this program.

Rather than the usual database interface of filling out a form, the
developer of this interface uses icons that follow the taxonomy used by
the trackers based to group related tracks and signs.   They use a lot
of icons mixed with text (teaching the bushmen a bit of word recognition
as a side effect.)  Because the interface is so closely designed with
the Bushmen in mind, it takes them about 15 minutes to learn how to use
it.

Switch to North America, a group of trackers here are using a modified
version of the program, not only to collect data, but to hone their
skills.  As they enter data, they learn the taxonomic system of the
master tracker that tailored the interface, they also train their minds
to look for things in a particular sequence, and with great detail.  One
learning tracker claimed it was like have a master tracker right there
looking over his shoulder, pointing out what he should look at next.

This starts to flow into the notion that learning is all about
patterning the brain.  Working with this entry program with its words
and icons does just that, running the mind through learning sequences,
like a martial artist practicing their kata.

Learning patterns can be used in lots of ways in teaching.  MonArt art
classes for children use pattern recognition as a way of increasing art
skills, with really dramatic effect.  Once kids begin to recognize
angles, circles, dots, squares, etc. in the world around them, and
working through some basic copying exercise where they copy and mirror
line patterns, the kids art work impoves remarkably.   The instructors
are using a taxonomy of shape components hand movements to sharpen the
minds kinesthetic memory of the students.

What is the socratic method, but a set of questions that focus the mind
on the topic at hand?  It is a kind of taxonomy for mental inquiry.
This isn't entirely new, we have used decision trees and flow charts in
all kinds of diagnostics....

I am not sure exactly where to go with this yet, but I am intrigued by
the overlap here between data collection, decision trees, socratic
(maietic) teaching and the patterning of the mind.   I am happy to
discuss it further with you, Michal.

-Stephen