[Edu-sig] Now I went and did it.

Michal Wallace sabren@manifestation.com
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 01:13:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Jason Cunliffe wrote:

> I find myself become more of an instant nutcase than testcase when I look at
> even this trivial example:
>
> (define (area-of-disk r)
>   (* 3.14 (* r r)))
>
> A voice inside my head starts saying "No. Stop no!"
>
> I wonder to how many people react differently from me, and what the real
> pre-conditions are whereby one says instead  "oh yes of course! :-)"

Do you know about modalities? Kinesthetic/Visual/Auditory and all
that? I'd venture that you tend to rely on Auditory-Internal-Digital
thinking a lot.. in other words, you think to yourself in words.. (As
you demonstrate above..  "voice", "one says", plus you read a lot,
etc..)

LISPish syntax doesn't really lend itself well to thinking in words.
At least not english ones..  Python does. That's why it's "executable
psuedocode" :)

Now, if you'd grown up speaking lojban ( http://www.lojban.org/ )
you might find programming in scheme much more natural..

LISP/scheme work better thinking visually, at least for me.. But
then I'm not a lisp or scheme programmer.. :)

> Are there consistent universal patterns of recognition and action which are
> independent from language culture personality? How does learning play into
> this.. Where does early computer programming belong?

No clue, but I've got a book on my to-read list that deals with a lot
of this.. "The Language Instinct" by Steven Pinker..

Cheers,

- Michal
www.manifestation.com  www.sabren.com  www.linkwatcher.com  www.zike.net