[Edu-sig] Now I went and did it.

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Sun, 08 Oct 2000 08:45:30 -0700

>Don't know how to generate interest, though.

As I recall, my advice at the time was to do more on a website to
show screen shots, discuss usage, deploy example lesson plans.
And then focus a lot on geometry teachers, not Python programmers.

Programmers tend to get fascinated by their own apps and may
have lest interest than other audiences in being end-users of
stuff already programmed (although in the case of PyGeo, I dare
say serious Pythoneers would want to dissect it for more ideas
about how to operate OpenGL from within Tk windows).

I also hit you with some of my own prejudices about PyGeo, which
were less relevant.

What you'll find in geometry world, however, is decades of
preconditioning which bias the K-12 field in favor of planar
figures only.  Getting spatial geometry of any kind into the
curriculum is an uphill battle -- but well worth fighting
I think.  Still, you need to have a high tolerance for
non-acceptance.

>Certainly never accomplished it here.
>
>ART

Agreed.

Additionally, you got caught up in the meat grinder of ongoing
version changes and the failure of some "add ons" to keep up.
Is it possible that PyGeo is just ahead of its time?  When 2.0
stablizes as a final, and the OpenGL add-on catches up, maybe
that's when to pick up the thread?  Maybe not -- perhaps other
technologies more suitable.

In any case, if nothing else, I think PyGeo proved a central
tenet of this list, which is that Python is a great ladder into
higher level programming for people relatively new to the
discipline (which you've subsequently developed).  You've made
this point as well.

Kirby