[Edu-sig] Teaching Middle-School Math with Python

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 16:34:17 -0700

Thanks for all that background research Jason!

I have no problem with the idea of doing turtle geometry using
Python -- have done a little myself, including with L-Systems [1],
though not with a live graphical display (we'd want that, I agree).

I wouldn't call it PythonLogo though, because Logo is a
language (descended from LISP), is not just the idea of having
a graphical turtle (you can write LOGO programs with no turtle
or graphical content).

As a language, Logo it has its own integrity, which we shouldn't
just bleep over (Logo's designers might not appreciate that).
PythonLogo sounds too oxymoronic, like BasicPascal.

However, PythonTurtle maybe sounds too much like a bad idea
for mad scientist's gene splicing experiment -- two animals
conjoined. PyTurtle sounds OK.

Kirby

[1] http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/lsystems.html