[LeapList] Re: [Edu-sig] Now I went and did it!

Econoprof@aol.com Econoprof@aol.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:50:36 EDT

         presentation packages or databases. These kids should
         be adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing. They
         should be learning to make their cases orally and in
         writing by developing structured thought and communication
         skills. The should be learning how to take notes and
         outline.>>>>>

These very things are part of our statewide required curriculum, with early
tasks beginning in kindergarten, building up to typing at speed by 5th grade.
 Kids are using spreadsheets for recording experimental data, doing some art,
doing research papers, etc.  Required writing portfolios are produced on the
computer.  We're talking elementary school.

Programming of any sort is not part of the picture, however, although all of
the kids get exposed to television production and videography, as well.  I'm
not saying this is as it should be, just an example of one state's set of
requirements.

Joan Combs