[Edu-sig] Now I went and did it!

David Scherer dscherer@cmu.edu
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:08:35 -0400

> vPython looks like a great tool for at least part of the job, assuming it
> runs under Linux (I couldn't tell from the website). I'd need to have
> something kewl from a kid point of view, but educational from a parent
> point of view.

It does run under Linux, although I don't maintain the linux version.  See
http://cil.andrew.cmu.edu/projects/visual/download.html#linux.  Let us know
if you need any help with visual - I'm rather busy at the moment, but this
seems like a good cause so I'll do what I can.

> But this first one is just propaganda, just like Microsoft's dog and
> pony show.

Even in propaganda, you might mention that a key advantage of open source,
python, visual, etc. is that students and teachers can actually get involved
in content creation, rather than just absorbing the content bottled by
%(company)s.

Dave