[Edu-sig] Re: Programming for non-programmer IT professionals

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:40:47 -0800

At 10:58 AM 11/17/2000 -0800, Dethe Elza wrote:
>> Thanks for the tip.  Here's the Amazon URL:
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201895420/

>I generally use ISBNs to reference a book so folks can use their store of
>choice.

Yes, ISBN more useful -- I was being more crassly commercial
in referencing Amazon, mostly a convience for USAers (or
for those wanting to see a book cover, read some reviews,
get an idea of the price and so on...).

>> It'd be fun to swap course outlines or lesson plans showing
>> how Python might integrate more tightly into medical
>> informatics.
>
>My current work is in 3D on the web, I just happened to have read the book
>and thought it would apply to
>your research interest.  My medical infomatics is limited to what I picked
>up as a Hospice office secretary/
>office manager and an incomplete EMT program.
>
>I'm on the list because I'm hugely interested in python, learning, and
>synergetics.
>
>--Dethe

That's a great combo (sharing a bias).  I'll try to find that
patterns book in a library or even 2nd hand (we're fortunate
to have Powell's here in PDX (another commercial)).

Speaking of 3D and imaging, that's a whole other way to
approach medical topics using Python.  Medicine, as much as
any discipline, is pushing the boundaries of computerized
imagery (storage-retrieval and analysis) and lots of Python
is devoted to manipulation of digital files -- plus medical
databases maybe include "blobs" i.e. binary data or links
to same = cines, MRIs, other kinds of tomography.

Of course 3D (or "4D" in synergetics -- the origin of my
company name, "4D Solutions" (commercial :-D)) is close to
my heart as well, a primary focus of such Python-related
webpages as http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/pyqvectors.html

Kirby

Related posts:

http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=617004981&fmt=text