[Edu-sig] Announcement: Visual

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 12:10:59 -0700

>At present you can't get the Visual module except by uninstalling Python
>1.5.2 and installing this distribution instead.  I apologize if that's
>inconvenient for you.

Interesting, same approach as Arthur Siegel's for PyGeo i.e.
customize an IDLE for a front end.

See:
http://www.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2000-February/000190.html

Maybe IDLE is designed with application-developer customization
in mind?  I thought Arthur's approach sounded kinda idiosyncratic,
but since IDLE is one of the key ways in which user experience
of Python is mediated, I guess it makes some sense to mess with
it.

Arthur says PyGeo code is not tied to an old Python, i.e. his
code should run under Python 1.6.  This idea of uninstalling a
current Python in order to run a Python-based application
doesn't sit well with me.  Seems a custom IDLE should/could
roll forward (and go in its own directory, so I wouldn't have
to touch the working generic IDLE).

BTW, I never could get PyOpenGL to install properly on Win98.
The web notes say Win98ers might encounter a certain error
message, which I did, and the workaround didn't seem to work.

Kirby