[Edu-sig] Long Integer Fractions

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 09:19:23 -0700

Tim Peters wrote (in part):
>Even so, the subject matter is difficult at points and the
>book makes no apologies for that, or for its refusal to
>"dummy it down".  Most of it remains college-level material.
>
>somebody-should-teach-uncle-don-how-to-use-a-computer<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

OK, sounds like "Concrete Mathematics" (CM) is my next
investment (along with more RAM for my wife -- she's
got some RAM-hog bookkeeping software that's really
bogging down).

No doubt CM is college level, but the point of a well-
designed curriculum is to "lower a ladder" consisting
of "grades" or "rungs", such that by the time you get
to the tough stuff, it's within reach, i.e. you're
well prepared for it.  The metaphors of "steepness"
("stepness") apply:  learning curve, on-ramp, higher
learning.

These days, it seems to me that the conventional math
curriculum is too slanted _away_ from engineering. Is
it a class thing?  Seems a lot of effete aristo-bluebloods
who can't abide getting their hands dirty in anything
like "machinery" (ooo, dirty) must have concocted the
current cafeteria plan: "like, would you like some more
calculus with your pre-calculus?"

I have nothing (much) against calculus, but not if we
divorce it from discrete math so completely that we
can't do some delta-x alongside our dx, some SIGMA
alongside or Riemann sums.  Why not some simple Python
in grade 11 (age 16):

def mkderiv(domain,f,h):
    # function derivative builder (discrete)
    pairs = []
    for x in domain:  # for each member of domain...
        rvalue = (f(x+h)-f(x-h))/(2*h)
        pairs.append((x,rvalue)) # append tuple
    return pairs

I'd like to open doors to OOP, cryptology (links between
RSA and prime numbers), spatial geometry (rotation
matrices, vector ops), number theory (Fermat's "little
theorem") even spherical trig, sooner rather than later.
Not in some elective AP rivulet, but in the main stream.

Spending a whole year doing AP calculus, all that chain
rule stuff, integrating by parts, seems way too much
nuts and bolts specialization -- like, let's wait and
see if you're really going to _use_ the calculus on
the job (and _how_ will you use it?) and stop using
this one neck of the woods as your "killing field"
wherein to sort out "those with potential" from "those
we feed pablum" in the math-sciences.

That's a cruel design, plus seems increasingly unable
to justify itself (the cost is way too high, given
the "turn off" factor).  Personally, I'm for letting
the kids victimized by this obsolete system having
their revenge (no, I'm not speaking from personal
bitterness, I did fine in AP calc and taught it for
two years at the HS level).

thinking-it's-time-to-swing-the-wrecking-ball-ly yrs
Kirby