[Edu-sig] Re: Long Integer Fractions

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 13:21:30 -0700

At 12:11 PM 05/17/2000 -0500, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

>   As I recall, SmallTalk has native integer fractions.  Scheme too?
>
>Scheme has had precise rational arithmetic from the beginning.

Yes, that was my recollection.  Thanks.

>You should also know that the first AP case study for the C++ exam focused
>on large ints. If you approach schools with this material, you must know
>what exists. Otherwise AP teachers will think you're uninformed and you're
>just trying to push a new syntax on them.

Yes, point taken.

Please note that I'm not pushing anything re AP computer science.
I'm simply prototyping how to teach a regular, garden variety
mathematics curriculum with some computer language as part of
the mix.  This is the next step after the current "graphing
calculator" craze is over.

>Read up on your competition.

Good advice, thanks again.  Note that my competition is less
C/C++ and more TI (Texas Instruments).

Kirby